Occasionally I write articles on the psychology of video games for places other than here. It’s like I’m a mercenary. A mercenary of words. And some numbers. Small ones.
Articles I’ve Written
- Edge Magazine #243 August 2012: The Psychology of High Scores
- Edge Magazine #242 July 2012: The Psychology of Game Nostalgia
- Edge Magazine #241 June 2012: The Psychology of Game Genres
- Edge Magazine #240 May 2012: The Psychology of Avatars
- Edge Magazine #239 April 2012: The Psychology of Free-to-Play Games
- GamePro Magazine: The Psychology of Horror Games
- GamePro Magazine: The Psychology of Anonymity
- GamePro Magazine: The Psychology of Shooters
- GamePro Magazine: The Psychology of Immersion
- GamePro Magazine: The Psychology of Fair Play
- GamePro Magazine: The Psychology of Buying Games
- GamePro Magazine: The Psychology of Loot
- Gamesindustry.biz: The Psychological Appeal of Violent Shooters
- Gamesindustry.biz: The Psychology of the Uncanny Valley
- Gamesindustry.biz: The Psychology Behind Steam’s Trading Cards
- Gamesindustry.biz: Does Respeccing Your Character Buildin Diablo 3 Make You Less Happy?
Articles and Books I’ve Been Quoted In
- The Washington Post: Game Creators are in the Eye of the Video-Game Storm
- The Chicago Tribune: A Closer Look at “Grand Theft Auto V” and “Angry Birds Star Wars II”
- Oprah.com: How to Finally Put Down Candy Crush (and More Ways to Kick Unwanted Habits)
- Playful Design: Creating Game Experiences in Everyday Interfaces by John Ferrara
- Official Playstation Magazine UK: Why Your Review is Wrong: the Psychology of Internet Commentary
- Livescience.com: Virtual Behavior Labs Discover What Gamers Want
- The Escapist: Curing the Noobonic Plague
- NewScientist: The Best Video Games of 2010
- MMORPG.com: What’s for Sale and What’s at Stake
- Kotaku: Lessons of the Mario Kart Cheaters
- The Jace Hall Show: Why The World Should Think Twice About Getting Rid of Violent Video Games
- The Gameological Society: Lords of Chaos: Cheating in Xbox Live’s Dungeon Defenders
- The Escapist: I Want It All
- New Scientist: Kinect Sensors Allow Games To Feed Off Your Fear
- Gamer.nl: What Kind of Gamer Are You? The Four Types of Gamers (Dutch)
- Mashable: These Neopets Have Been Alive for 13 Years
- CNET: Candy Crush: You Play, You’re Hooked. Now What?
- Gamers With Jobs: Ad Infinitum: Are We Really Escaping? (In GWJ Magazine Issue #1)
- Lifehacker: The Psychology of a Fanboy: Why You Keep Buying the Same Stuff
- Interational Business Times: Why Do Gamers Obsess Over Review Scores?
Want to speak to me for an article you’re working on or inquire about hiring me to write a piece for your publication? Feel free to contact me!