A lot of us have probably had the unfortunate experience of dealing with trolls in video games. Those obnoxious people who team kill, throw games, trash talk to get a rise out of people, and generally try to ruin our game.
Why do people do this? Do they get something out of it or are they just “broken”? A lot of us like to think the latter, but some researchers are starting to investigate exactly why people troll in video games and in general. In this episode, we’ll investigate this topic with the help of a guest expert.
Remember that Patreon supporters get the ad-free version of the podcast delivered straight to their phone, as if by magic: https://www.patreon.com/pog
- Subscribe in iTunes here
- Listen or subscribe on Spotify
- Listen or subscribe on Stitcher
- Or just search for “Psychology of Games” in whatever you use to listen to podcasts
- All previous podcast episodes
Links for this episode:
- “Robot Motivation” by The Polish Ambassador, licensed under Creative Commons: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0
- Hitman by Kevin MacLeod. Link: https://incompetech.filmmusic.io/song/3880-hitman License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
- Children Laughing Sound by Mike Koenig http://soundbible.com/1848-Children-Laughing.html